Guantanamo hack threat prompts WiFi shutdown

Guantanamo hack threat prompts WiFi shutdown
In this March 30, 2010, file photo, a U.S. soldier stands in the turret of a vehicle with a machine gun, left, as a guard looks out from a tower at the Guantanamo Bay detention facility in Cuba. (AP Photo/Brennan Linsley)
MIAMI (AP) — The U.S. military has shut down wireless internet service at the Guantanamo Bay Naval Base in Cuba because of online hacking threats.

A spokesman for the Guantanamo Bay prison says that officials have also blocked access to social networks such as Facebook and Twitter through military computer networks because of the threat.

Army Lt. Col. Samuel House says the precautions were taken because of online threats to disrupt activities at the base allegedly made by the international hacking group Anonymous. No disruptions have been reported so far.

The group had called for a global protest because of the ongoing hunger strike by prisoners protesting their conditions and indefinite confinement at the U.S. base. As of Monday, the military said 103 of the 166 prisoners were on strike.