Woman burning weeds lights house on fire

KENNEWICK, Wash. -- A woman burning her weeds caused her home to catch fire this morning. It happened on Vermont Loop in Kennewick. Firefighters tell us flames spread to the woman's home after she used a weed burner. Unfortunately they say cases like this are common during the winter. Firefighters encourage you to check burn regulations before cleaning up waste in your yard.

Battalion Chief Mike Barnett says, "There's some burning regulations and rules.. Kinda varies depending on where you live. There's some particular areas in Kennewick that you're not allowed to burn."

Most of the damage from Sunday's fire happened underneath the home.