Flames broke out around 7:30. Witnesses tell Action News they could see the fire shooting out of the roof of the 4-plex on 8th Street. Three families were evacuated.
Authorities say the fire sparked in a vacant apartment on the second floor. There had been some renovation work going on in that unit, but it's still unclear if that's how the blaze started.
There is extensive damage to all four apartments, which means families won't be going home anytime soon.
"Hopefully, everything that we own is safe," says fire victim Johnna Combs. "My kids are alright. And that's all that matters.
Benton PUD shut off power and water to the building.
The apartment's owner is putting the displaced families up in a hotel. And the Red Cross is also providing assistance.