Terry Chick returns to Action News on Monday

Terry Chick returns to Action News on Monday

Terry Chick's doctor cleared him to return to the anchor desk at Action News starting October 8th.

Terry has been recovering at home for several weeks since he underwent open-heart surgery. He spent just under a week in the hospital after needing a quintuple bypass.

The entire Action News team continues to appreciate your well wishes and prayers for Terry's recovery.

Terry has been very open about his sudden diagnosis with serious heart disease. He had multiple blockages and needed surgery immediately.

Tuesday, September 11th

I just got back from a visit to my surgeon, Dr. Juan Cordero..and very good news..he says I'm healing very well and should be able to return to work by the first of October.

He did a great job of explaining everything he did during surgery and also told me, because of my genes..I have very small veins and will likely be on Plavix and aspirin for the rest of my life. And I say, that's a small price to pay for this second chance at a healthy life.

I should be starting Cardiac Rehab soon..and that will only facilitate my return to action. I still have to take it easy with no heavy lifting and I can't drive for another 3 to 4 weeks but I'm fine with that.

And lest I forget on this Sept. 11th..my prayers go out to all those on the front line who fight to keep America the greatest country in the world.

Friday, September 7th

It was a great week..but alas, it came to an end. I dropped my son off at the airport this morning so he could fly back to Tennessee. It was so nice with him being here and helping to take care of his dad while on the mend.
We got to spend a lot of quality time together and talk about things we haven't in quite a few years.

The little kid that used to drive me crazy with his unwillingness to take naps..his penchant for riding his bike into trees..and just pestering the dickens out of his older sister has grown into quite a great young man.

And on a completely different note, how ironic is this: about five months ago I bought tickets for LeAnn and I to see "Heart" at Northern Quest.

Now, I'm heading up to Spokane on Sunday with my heart pillow from KADLEC. We're sitting about 20 rows back. I'm hoping the Wilson sisters will spot the pillow..invite me up on the stage..give me their autographs and then rock out on Barracuda.

I went and saw them a couple of years ago when they came to the Toyota Center and they are still awesome after all these years.

I want to say thanks to all the folks I've met over the last few weeks who have come up to tell me their post-heart condition stories. I didn't realize I'm in a pretty large fraternity here in the Tri-Cities. You people are my inspiration to go out there every day and keep up with the walking and breathing exercises. God bless you all.

Thursday, September 6th

The first big walk of the day was a struggle. The two big stretches that go uphill were both into that steady "breeze". Yes, I realize I could've turned around and have had the wind at my back for those two parts of the course..but that would be taking the easy way out.

As I mentioned..I struggled..but I took my time..had to stop twice and catch my breath..and still managed to make it close to 45 minutes..which is what my doctor wants me doing three times a day.

Now, because we're all about honesty here..I am gonna turn around and have the wind at my back for the next trek and then later this evening..hopefully, the wind will die down and it will be back to clear sailing.

I'm gonna be down at the Branding Iron for about an hour this evening. LeAnn takes line-dancing classes on Thursday nights and I'm always working and never have the chance to watch her..so tonight I get to catch her doing her "thang". The woman does love to dance.

If you're in the neighborhood come on down and enjoy the atmosphere.

Wednesday, September 5th

I just got back from Canyon Lakes. I treated my son to 18 holes of golf. I thought it was gonna be tough just riding and watching him play. I figured I'd have the itch real bad, but then seeing how much torque he puts into his swing..I'm very glad I was just along for the ride.

It truly pains me to say this..but I don't think I'll be swing a club for at least a year. It scares me the damage it could do to my breastplate.

But I did get some good walking in..and soaked up some serious rays. I do believe in the recuperative powers of the sun.

We also had the pleasure of playing with Jerry Williamson..a longtime Tri-Citian who now lives in Vegas..but was back to visit his mom. The guy has got some serious game.

Brendan did play college soccer..so you can imagine he's highly competitive..and after about 4 holes of whining about this and that..I asked him one question: Just how often do you play? That brought the complaining to an end.
Plus..he was using a combination of my old and new clubs..not his clubs. That's gonna add 5 or 6 strokes to your score easily.

For those of you who have played Canyon Lakes..you're well aware there are some serious hills out there..and I will admit..on those holes..I just stayed in the cart.

And I am proud of myself. I didn't even attempt one putt. I was fine with just giving Brendan some advice on the holes and going along for the ride.

He heads back to Knoxville on Friday morning, so I've got to find someplace here in the Tri-Cities to take him tomorrow. If you have any suggestions..let me know.

Tuesday, September 4th

Just had my first doctor's appointment since the surgery and everything is coming along nicely.
He actually cut back on a couple of the meds..saying I didn't need that strong a prescription. And I'll take that as good news.

He still wants me to take it slowly..no heavy lifting. He says it takes anywhere from 3 to 6 months..maybe longer..for the breastbone to heal and right now that's his primary concern.

He is baffled by the constant, hacking cough and is suggesting a chest x-ray next week if it continues. It may be a side effect of the Ambien.

That's gonna do it for now. If you see me out and about, please come up and say hello. I miss visiting with you every night.

Monday, September 3rd

Hey everybody..I hope you've had a great holiday weekend. Where did the summer go?

I spent the weekend showing my son around the Tri-Cities and we did our walking at one of favorite spots..Howard Amon Park.

LeAnn's 2 sons are coming over this evening and we're going to do a little grilling out. Just chilling and relaxing..just what the doctor ordered.

And speaking of the doctor..I have to go see my cardiologist tomorrow and I will let him know that Ambien has got to be pulled from my prescribed pills. I've had 3 terrible nights in a row..and instead of acting as a sleeping pill..this thing did just the opposite. I went online and checked out the side effects and I had just about every one. It's nothing more than a sleeping pill and I'm guessing I can get along without it.

Everything else seems to be alright..but I'll have to get the doc's word on that..so I'll keep you posted. This is actually the first trip to the doctor's office I'm actually looking forward to in a long, long time.

Thursday, August 30th

Up and at 'em after a pretty good night's sleep. The hacking cough is in remission. I went online and did a little research and found out that I needed to do some serious heavy breathing exercises. Duh..lungs have to expand and they won't do it on themselves dummy. Lesson learned.

Big event of the day. My son, Brendan is flying in this afternoon from Knoxville, TN. He gets to take care of his old man for a week. Just for payback, I wish he had to change "my" diaper but I'm not quite there yet.

By the way, today's picture..compliments of LeAnn..cardiac rehab on the veranda. Life is good.

Wednesday evening, August 29th

Today was definitely not as good as yesterday. It's like I took a step backwards. I did talk to one of my doc's assistants and they told me not to get discouraged. This is to be expected and will happen again in the coming weeks.

The good news..I am just feeling crappy..but there aren't any problems following the surgery.
Even better news..my son, Brendan is flying in from Knoxville TN tomo
rrow to spend a week. It will be his first trip out to the Tri-Cities since I made the big move four years ago. The best I ever made, by the way.

He may be the biggest college football fan I've ever met..so there will be plenty of time for the two of house to talk about the SEC (mine) and the ACC (his). He knows he's going into this unarmed..but he learned the art of BS from a pro so I'll have to stay on my toes.

Don't be surprised..if by this time next week I'm extolling the virtues of the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets..and how with a break here..and a break there they can find themselves in the national championship picture.

For the record, I actually do think they have a chance..but you'll never get met to admit that to his face. Because, by the same logic I can make a case for USC..THE USC..the one that was a college for nearly 50 years before the "other" one was even a state. Go Gamecocks!!!

Just talking college football here has got me me feeling better.

Wednesday morning, August 29th

I know just yesterday I was praising the under-appreciated hospital gown..and today..I have to leave it at home as I venture out in the Tri-Cities to take care of some business.

You know if it was left up to me, I'd be in the gown the whole way..but LeAnn is driving and I certainly don't want her leaving along the side of 182.

Before I left the hospital, my nurse Thea told me I would probably fall into the 95% of heart patients who fall victim to the dreaded 3:30 AM wake-up call. I hate to admit it, but I believe she's correct. The past two nights..pretty much like clockwork..3:30 rolls around and my eyes roll wide awake. I don't hurt or anything. I'm just awake and stay that way for next two hours or so.

It's quite annoying..so now, I'm trying to get in touch with her to find out if this phenomenon has a shelf life.

Have a great day everyone. And if you see me out and about, please come up and say hello.

Tuesday, August 28th

Gonna try something new this morning. The plan is to include a picture from recovery from last Tuesday and this one this morning after I stepped out of the shower at home.

There is marked improvement..but of course, you can only see it if it works.

I did have my best night sleeping..until...the cats decided to get up around 4:30 and start playing tag all over my recliner. Got them settled down around 5..but they were back at it at 6.At that point, I awarded each a gold medal and got up for the day.

Getting ready for first big walk and then a morning of watching meaningful TV..aka..ESPN college football previews to the season. Go Gamecocks.

Monday, August 27th

Alright..back home after a week in the hospital and I actually know what day it is. The first day following surgery was way out of whack. Using the mantra of a better life through chemicals, I was somewhere between Timothy Leary and Janis Joplin.

By Wednesday, I was starting feel a little more whole..which means it's true what they say about quintuple bypass surgery, you do feel like you've been run over by a semi.

Although, in my case I had some excellent physicians at Kadlec, led by Dr. Juan Cordero, at my back.

I do want to apologize to my general manager and news director who both came to visit. I thought I was being totally engrossing and basically, I was loopy and didn't have a clue as to what I was talking about. David and Robin, sorry about that.

Now the road to rehab really takes place. My wonderful finance', LeAnn is taking most of the week off from work to be home with me and I guess we're going to walk circles around our neighborhood in Creekstone. I've kinda gotten used to wearing the hospital gown, so if I flash you as I walk by, it's not intentional and please do come up and say hello.

I can't come close to letting you know much all of thoughts and prayers mean.

It's gonna be a long, hard road but I'm still shooting on being back alongside Whitney Ward Anchor within a month.

So that means, it's time to get off my butt and start my walking and breathing exercises.

I will be posting twice-a-day..so until the next one..keep it sexy.

Monday, August 20th

T-minus something hours and counting. I just took a shower with some disinfectant soap the hospital gave me. Let me just say it doesn't smell like roses. You would think with all the advances made in medicine, and I'm certainly betting m
y life on some of those, that they would be able to come up with a decent smelling soap.

I'm probably gonna have a hard time sleeping tonight..but I've already lined up all my DVDs and I think I'll just start with Seinfeld..throw in some Arrested Development and end with The Terminal, my favorite movie of all time. That should get me close to my 6 AM check-in time. At that point, it's all in the cardiac unit's hands.

Really, it's the same as for any man on his wedding day. Just show up..everything else is out of your hands.

I so very lucky to have such a beautiful and loving and understanding fiance'. LeAnn is the reason I'm doing this. I've at least gotta make it to my next wedding day..where all I have to do is show up. Just kidding, sweetie.

Well that's gonna do it for now. I'll see all you guys on the other side. And yes, my news director is quite correct. My golf game is really gonna take a hit. But who am I kidding, it's not all that good to begin with.

Saturday, August 18th

First of all let me say thanks to all who wished me the best. That means a lot.

Hopefully I'll be back Action News within the month but I can't make any promises.

In case you haven't heard..I'm having open heart surgery Monday morning. I started feeling chest pains about a month ago when I was cutting my grass. I didn't give it much thought at first because it's really the only true exercise I get. I'm naturally lazy and now that trait has come back to bite me big time.

The following week while cutting the grass, I not only experienced chest pains but a numbness in my left arm. Now, that one caught my attention.

I really hadn't been to a doctor in well over 30 years but my fiancee LeAnn straightened my head out real quick and got the ball rolling.

By this past Friday..I was at Kadlec having a heart catheterization. When he completed it..the doctor said he had some good news and some bad news. The good news was that my problem was fixable. The bad news was that I needed open heart surgery. That certainly hit me like a ton of bricks..but once it sank in..I first told the doctor he needed to work on his bedside manner and then I asked him what everything entailed.

Bottom line..I'm headed to the hospital early Monday morning. One vein leading to my heart is completely blocked and the doc says he was surprised I hadn't already had a heart attack and at least three other veins have severe blockage.

The good news in all this is that my heart muscle has not been damaged at all and is actually in very good shape (for a devoted couch potato).

I'm told it will feel like I've been run over by a truck when I wake up. I've gotta be honest with you..I'm scared but I know I'm in the very good hands of Dr. Juan Cordero and the great cardiac unit at Kadlec.

My intention is to be back here on Facebook by Wednesday to start posting daily updates.

I sit at the desk every night during our 5 PM newscast giving you the latest health news. Now, I'll get to find out how some of that relates to me.

Again, I hope to be back at that desk..right alongside Whitney Ward Anchor within a month. I know I have a long, hard road of recovery but I've been given a great chance here and it's totally up to me not to screw it up.

You may have seen me this weekend at Andy's in Pasco having the best chicken-fried steak and biscuits and gravy in the Tri-Cities..or maybe lunching on a bacon cheeseburger. Please forgive me..but after Monday..that's off the menu for good and I just had to get it out of my system.

Thanks for your kind words..and I guess it's finally time I took some Action for myself.

I'll be talking to you next week.