Man trying to burn hornet's nest with torch causes shop fire

Man trying to burn hornet's nest with torch causes shop fire
YAKIMA, Wash. -- What started as a garbage and brush fire ended up causing serious damage to a West Valley shop area.

An officer driving around saw the smoke at the home on West Lincoln.

Firefighters tell us the fire started after some men used a propane torch to burn a hornets nest.

Nearby pallets and debris caught fire and spread to the outdoor workshop.

"Right now, when it's as hot as this is, you know anything that you get a spark to is probably going to burn," said Deputy Chief Nathan Craig of West Valley Fire. "Whether it be brush or wood, other debris materials around your home, it's all probably going to burn."

Fire crews say the damage is mostly limited to the attic. The main building is fine.

The main shop sustained water and smoke damage.