Two fires burn homes

Two fires burn homes
TRI-CITIES, Wash. -- Fire crews from all three cities rushed to a house fire on High Meadows Street in Richland today.

The fire started in the chimney and spread to other parts of the house. Firefighters had to use chainsaws to get into the attic. Two people got out of the house safely. The damage was significant but firefighters say it could have been much worse.

"Any time you're in a big house and it gets into the attic, there's several things that are very dangerous. That's if any body gets up on the roof there's potential, if it's burned through or has been burning for a while it weakens the structure," says James Hempstead with the Richland Fire Department.

And about the same over in Kennewick,Benton County One responded to a house fire at 15th and Elm. A wire connecting the water heater overheated and started a fire in a closet. Luckily, the fire burst a water pipe that helped fire crews extinguish the flames. A mother and child escaped safely. This home also has heavy smoke damage and can't be lived in.