Defense starts in Kelli Jacobsen's manslaughter case

Defense starts in Kelli Jacobsen's manslaughter case
BENTON COUNTY, Wash. -- We heard the final witnesses in the state's case against a nanny accused of killing a child in her care.

It was powerful testimony about the futile attempts to save the boy's life.

Then the defense got underway hoping to convince jurors Kelli Jacobsen could never hurt this little boy.

During the last week you've heard details of Ryder Morrison's injuries.
Fractured bones, deep tissue bruises, testimony to sell the case of a battered baby.

But nothing like the heartbreaking final moments of the child's life.

Dr. Cheerag Upadhyaya was the neurosurgeon who worked on Ryder. "We opened it up, we gently washed and just kept washing the clot off the brain."

He opened Ryder's skull to relieve pressure and stop the bleeding.
From the first cut of the scalpel he says blood was spurting out.

A second doctor was brought in to help.

The surgeon's testimony of the desperate attempts to save her son's life were so heart-wrenching, Ryder's mother quickly bolted from the courtroom in tears.

The doctor said by the color he saw, he could tell the one year old's brain was dying.

"The coloration of the brain changed from, had gradually been changing to a more grayish coloration," he said.

He testified that the entire left side of Ryder's brain was pushed to the side. That came from pressure and massive bleeding.

Doctors tried to apply pressure with towels to stop the bleeding.
The surgeon could tell there was a tear in the largest vein pumping blood between the head and the heart. They even tried CPR, to no avail.

Dr. Cheerag Upadhyaya continued, "Given the changes in the brain, lack of blood flow, significant amount of hemorrhaging of the brain, as well as vital signs, it was decided to cease efforts."

Ryder died on the operating table.

The defense argues Ryder's injury could have happened more than 24 hours before he showed symptoms. The prosecution's witness said that was not possible. And with that the prosecution rested.

By Thursday afternoon, the defense had begun calling its witnesses.
Beginning with the chaplains who testified to Kelli Jacobsen's demeanor at the hospital.

Amy Hoyt, chaplain at Kadlec said, "There was a calming and quieting but still that sort of self soothing, forward and backward motion and then actual weeping would rise and fall."

The goal was to show how upset Jacobsen was about the boy's injuries.

There's one thing both sides have agreed on, this trial is moving faster than they thought it would.

It's standard that the defense has the option to ask the judge to dismiss the case entirely once the state has finished presenting.

But that didn't happen today.

Attorney Scott Johnson plunged right into calling the chaplains and then character witnesses were on the stand late Thursday afternoon.